While the top ten DVD rentals change all the time, this list should get you through the next few weeks. There’s something for everyone from weird westerns to Adam Sandler joking around with his friends.
10. Jonah hex – From the pages of DC Comics comes this revenge story about a disfigured Old West bounty hunter (Josh Brolin) in search of the madman (John Malkovich, naturally) who killed his family. Megan Fox plays a disreputable woman who is quite handy with a gun.
9. The Karate Kid – A remake of the Ralph Macchio classic, this version is set in China and stars Jaden Smith as a harassed young man who receives martial arts instruction from a maintenance man (Jackie Chan).
8. How to Train Your Dragon – In this animated hit, Jay Baruchel voices Hiccup, a young Viking who befriends a dragon and helps his tribe learn an important lesson. It also features the voice talents of Gerard Butler.
7. Sex and the City 2 – This time, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon are heading to Abu Dhabi for fun. Featuring appearances by Penelope Cruz, Miley Cyrus, and Liza Minnelli.
6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the world – Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead star in this comic adaptation about a bum who falls in love with a girl and quickly draws the ire of his seven evil exes. Directed by Edgar Wright and full of video game references and lots of stunning visuals.
5. Predators – Adrien Brody leads the cast in this sci-fi film about human soldiers and mercenaries who are kidnapped from Earth and released into an alien preserve. Lots of action, and one of the group is not who he appears to be. Co-starring Laurence Fishburne, Topher Grace and Walton Goggins, the film is intended as a direct sequel to Predator 2.
Four. Ramona and Beezus – Selena Gomez and Joey King star in this story of a precocious third grader and her older sister. Based on the book by Beverly Cleary.
3. Charlie St. Cloud – Zac Efron plays a young man who meets the ghost of his brother every day to play ball. But when he falls in love with a sailor, his budding romance forces him to choose between the living and the dead.
two. toy Story 3 – With their adult owner and moving to college, our favorite talking toys (including Woody and Buzz Lightyear) are found in a daycare run by a tyrannical teddy bear. The first animated film to earn more than $ 1 billion, this Pixar blockbuster stars the voice of Tim Allen and Tom Hanks.
1. The adults – Adam Sandler leads an all-star comedy cast that includes Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider. When the coach who led them to a championship in their high school days passes away, childhood friends gather at the funeral and make up for lost time with a series of jokes and hilarious situations. While it’s far from Shakespeare, the movie deserves a few laughs if you turn your brain on autopilot.