Do You Know These Details About Renting Student Accommodation in Lancashire?

Details About Renting Student Accommodation in Lancashire

Lancashire is a great place to study and the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is no exception. The sixth-largest uni in England, UCLan offers a wide range of subjects such as forensic science, fashion, film studies, social work, nursing and dentistry. It also offers a good variety of cultural venues such as the Harris Museum and Art Gallery and several theatres and live music venues.

Student housing in Lancashire comes in many different forms including halls of residence, studio apartments and private houses. The key to finding the right property for you is understanding the difference between these types of accommodation and knowing what your requirements are.

The best way to find Lancashire student accommodation is to browse online through websites such as StudentPad. These sites only advertise university-registered student properties and are vetted for quality. You can also use local letting agents to find property but be sure to check out the reputation of the agency and whether they have been registered with the relevant authorities.

You will want to make sure your landlord is a member of a professional body such as the National Landlords Association (NLA) or the Federation of Private Sector Housing (FPSH). These bodies have codes of practice that must be followed. They also have a helpline you can call to ask questions about property issues or report any problems.

All upholstered furniture in your accommodation must be fire safe and comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988. Look for sewn labels showing compliance or ask the landlord to supply you with a certificate. If the landlord is unable to provide proof of compliance, you can report them to Trading Standards and they could be fined.

Do You Know These Details About Renting Student Accommodation in Lancashire?

Students should always ensure they rent accommodation that is a minimum of a House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO). If you find a house that is not HMO, you will have to share kitchen, bathroom and lounge facilities with other tenants. The landlord is required to ensure that the property is safe and that all occupants are insured against accidents.

A well-equipped kitchen should have a gas boiler and all electrical installations should be PAT tested. You will also want a living area that has a sofa, TV and DVD player plus a games room or study area. If you prefer to cook, choose a property with a fully equipped kitchen.

If you have any special requirements such as mobility or wheelchair access, make sure you tell the landlord. They can then discuss this with you and ensure the property is suitable for your needs.

Student accommodation often provides support services to assist students in navigating their college journey successfully. Accommodation staff members are trained to offer guidance and support, addressing any concerns or challenges that students may encounter. They can provide information about academic resources, campus services, and local amenities. Additionally, some accommodations offer academic support programs, mentoring services, and counseling resources. By offering support services, accommodation providers create an environment where students feel supported and empowered to succeed academically and personally.

Lancashire student accommodation houses and halls of residence in Preston are close to the university and offer a wide range of rooms and features. Canterbury Hall, for example, has a rooftop garden, a cinema room and plenty of communal spaces to relax in with friends. There are also a range of ensuite and standard rooms to suit all budgets. If you would like to be even closer to campus, take a look at iQ Kopa, which has en-suite and studio rooms and is just a seven-minute walk from the university.