Online games have quickly become a common and universal aspect of pop culture. The search for better graphics and realistic gameplay has resulted in advancements and sophistication of software and hardware, as well as animation and graphic design in games.
The online market has grown rapidly, growing 44 percent in 2000, when it was worth around $ 6.5 billion. The progress and availability of the Internet for a greater number of people is the main cause of this exponential growth.
The variety available in online games.
It is a type of game in which players interact with the help of a server. Some also allow players to interact with other players.
They can be of various types. A classification is:
- Simulation: involve strategic thinking as the player is placed in simulating an experience.
- Role-playing games – allow players to play a role in a particular environment; These are games focused on scenarios.
- Multi-user dimension: They are also like RPGs, however they are text-oriented; they instill the participation of a cyber community in their game.
- Shooting – These evolved from arcade shooter games; The main game is to shoot a target and hit it.
What attracts people to online games?
There are several factors that influence the popularity, such as the stunning graphics and sound, the ease of access and the widespread availability of online games, as well as the sense of excitement and enthusiasm that is felt when people play these games. People play repeatedly and spend a lot of time and money behind these because it gives them pleasure. The motivation to play comes from the rewarding experience these games provide. These have a high chance of losing, so it presents a challenge and a tangible goal. Being able to complete the challenge and win despite the odds gives players a sense of accomplishment and self-efficacy.
However, this also contributes to the risk of gambling addiction.
The game has benefits, believe it or not
Although they have been regularly criticized for their negative effects, such as fostering violence, cyberbullying and xenophobia, research has been done to show that online games provide benefits for players. Some of them are:
- Online games that are based on action can improve specific cognitive skills because they involve a certain amount of training and the plasticity of the brain is affected by it. They require the activity of the senses, fast processing of information, in an adaptive way since these games are challenging and the level of difficulty increases after each success.
- Shooting games improve attention span because they require sensory discrimination and rapid information processing, as well as monitoring all parts of the screen or the game environment.
- Women who played visuospatial puzzle games were found to improve visuospatial performance and this improvement was maintained even after 5 months. Also, visual contrast sensitivity was found to improve in young adults after playing shooting games.