I just became aware of the fact that summer is here. In exactly 4 weeks, it will be Christmas. I have 6kg to lose, and since my goal is to lose 1/2kg per week, I will only have lost 3kg by the time we leave at the end of the year. On a positive note, I would rather have lost 3kg than nothing at all, or horror of horrors, put on a bit more weight. I’m giving myself 4 months to lose the whole lot. Which means that if all goes according to plan, by the end of February next year, I will reach my goal weight.
Every day for the next month, my goal is to add another one of these tips to my lifestyle. My priorities are: first and foremost, stay healthy and fit. Second, to lose weight.
1) I have signed up to weigh myself every Tuesday, with the goal of losing 1/2 kg a week. I am not allowed to stand on the scale between weigh-ins. And to really motivate me, a group of friends are weighing in front of each other.
2) Our group of friends have formed a “whatsapp” group to motivate each other to stay on track. Each of us pays R100.00 each time we exceed our weekly goals. In the end, the winner with the most weight loss wins all the money. We share daily motivations with each other.
3) My goal is to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. This will help remove all the toxins and keep my skin glowing.
4) The Solal Vitamins are my favorite, and I have started taking the following daily: L-Carnetine, HCA Appetite Control and Magnesium Glycinate.
5) Trampoline is a brilliant way to drain our lymphatic systems. We have a mini jumper at home and I do 300 jumps every morning before breakfast.
6) Exercise every day. Cardio exercise helps tremendously with weight loss. Weight-bearing exercises are great for toning. Yoga is brilliant for flexibility. I am aiming for a minimum of one hour per day, of various exercises.
7) Inversions are very good for detoxification. Do a shoulder stand or backswing every day. The advantage of this is that it keeps our bodies and facial skin looking youthful.
8) Deep breathing, clears our lungs. It also helps us to be aware, centered and calm. Take a few moments throughout each day to breathe deeply.
9) Meditation can be done in various ways. Praying is also a form of meditation. By doing this daily, we become more centered.
10) Positive thinking is vital. The moment negative thoughts enter our brain, we must get rid of them. On a happy note, the more positive we are, the more we laugh, which burns calories.
11) Vision boards are great as they are a constant reminder of what we strive for. I put pictures of healthy food, people exercising, and relaxing vacations on mine.
12) Buy only healthy foods. Don’t be tempted to put anything unhealthy in that cart. The whole family benefits when only healthy foods are available to eat.
13) Plan meals ahead of time. This way you can make sure you have all the ingredients on hand. If you’re pressed for time, you won’t be tempted to eat anything else.
14) Focus on health, not weight. You will remain motivated and full of energy. This is also age-appropriate, as most people want to be a little rounder as they get older.
15) Surround yourself with positive people. When the people around us encourage us, we always feel better about ourselves. The better we feel, the more likely we are to want to lose weight.
16) Ask people for help. Everyone, including family, friends, dieticians, psychologists, etc. We know what support we need and we must ask for it.
17) Don’t go on a fad diet. Most of the quick fixes are extremely harmful. If you lose weight too quickly, you will most likely gain it back when you eat normally again.
18) Balance of fruits and vegetables. Pure protein diets are not healthy and we all need some carbohydrates for a balanced diet. The best way to eat them is through all our fresh foods.
19) No sugar. Sugar is addictive and they are empty calories. Sugar has no nutritional value. Stop now.
20) No complex carbohydrates, such as bread. There are tons of recipes on the web now for healthy homemade breads. Make them if you really have a craving for bread.
21) Dress well. The moment we put on something we feel good in, do our hair and makeup, we are motivated to lose weight.
22) Don’t shop hungry. Always have something to eat beforehand, or take a healthy snack with you to nibble on, so you don’t buy junk on the spur of the moment.
23) Subscribe to receive a motivational sms. I’m a Herbex subscriber and, for example, today’s message is: “Keep healthy snacks nearby, like fruit, yogurt, rice cakes, and low-fat cheese.”
24) Have healthy snacks on hand: popcorn/biltong/kale chips/provita/baby carrots/apples, etc, etc.
25) Eat smaller portions. Serve less food and go for seconds, instead of stacking your plate to the sky and ending up eating more than you need.
26) Cut down on alcohol consumption. Drink light wine or beer if you really want to. Always have a glass or 3 of water between each drink.
27) Never skip meals. We should eat 5 small meals a day, but the minimum is 3. So make sure you have these meals evenly distributed, to avoid bingeing, when starving.
28) Make vegetables your hero, since they have almost zero calories, and you can snack on most of them all day, every day.
29) Eat slowly and mindfully. Enjoy every bite. Chew and taste your food. You will feel more satisfied and less inclined to ask for more.
30) Don’t stress. The more relaxed you are, the more unlikely you are to break your diet. There are wonderful herbal tranquilizers available these days, which are very effective.
31) Avoid allergens. If you are aware of your body, you will know what they are. For example, immediately after eating bread, my stomach becomes very bloated. If you’re not sure, get allergy tests.
The massage is a delight, and a treatment. If you are really sticking to your diet then have a full body massage. The massage will help you detoxify, drain your lymphatic system and help eliminate cellulite.
This is for all of us looking forward to the “new me”.